Wednesday 23 February 2011

Student to appear on Countdown

A University of Chester student has made it through auditions to appear on Channel 4’s Countdown.

Geoff Moriarty, an English Literature and Creative Writing student, successfully beat four opponents after playing the words and numbers game in an audition.

Moriarty from Bury, Greater Manchester, said: “Eight is the maximum amount of shows you can be on for, not including the quarters, semis and final. I'll never be on for that long. I just want to win one so I get the teapot.”

Countdown, hosted by Sky Sports’ Soccer Saturdays presenter Jeff Stelling, has been running since 1982. It has previously been hosted by Richard Whiteley, Des Lynam and Des O’Connor, with the most famous Co-Presenter being Carol Vorderman.

Moriarty continued: “I’ve been to see it recorded back in September, and when I was there the warm-up guy asked if anyone wanted an application form, so I thought I’d go for it.”

The show will be filmed within the next six months at Granada Studios, Castlefield, Manchester. The audition consisted of six letter rounds, two number rounds and three conundrums.

To win, Moriarty averaged out at seven letters per word, and got two out of three conundrums in the time limit of 30 seconds. After the 11-round audition, he received a letter three days later inviting him on the show.

Moriarty said: “Since hearing back from Countdown, I’ve been inspired to apply for the Weakest Link through their website. I love game shows, and I love Susie Dent so I can’t wait to meet her.”

To apply for Countdown, visit


No comments: